When couples in California decide to end their marriage, there is a period of emotional turmoil that they face. While it might seem that divorce only has negative consequences, it can also have a positive impact on your life.
Benefits provided by divorce
The road to divorce is often littered with hurts and conflicts that build up over time. Spouses might become angry or resentful at their significant others and the decision to end the marriage might be the final outcome when they feel nothing has worked to improve the relationship. However, divorce can positively impact life in a variety of ways, including:
- The end of an unsatisfying and unhappy relationship
- Control over your own life
- A more stable financial state
- The space to continue to grow as a person
- The creation of happier and more peaceful home environments for the children
The downside of divorce
While divorce can have a positive impact on many people, for others, there might be downsides and challenges to overcome. For example, even if the relationship was an unhappy one, you might have become used to sharing your life with a significant other. After the divorce, you might find yourself having to deal with loneliness and struggling to connect with others. Some other negative outcomes of divorce can include:
- Financial insecurity as you try to figure out how to provide for your needs
- Emotional struggles, which can include grief, fear, anxiety and depression
- A negative emotional toll on the children as they struggle to adapt to their new normal
- The reaction of your family, friends and community
As you begin taking the first steps towards ending your marriage, prepare yourself to experience both positive and negative outcomes. However, keep your focus on the future and fulfilling your goals.