Comprehensive Solutions to Difficult Family Law Issues

Here’s what to do if you want an international divorce

On Behalf of | Jun 30, 2017 | Blog

The world has become much smaller with the use of technology, and as such, many people from around the world are traveling to new places and meeting people from other cultures. You did the same thing, and you got married overseas. Now, you have found yourself in a dilemma, because you want to get a divorce.

Is an international divorce really any different from a standard divorce in the United States? Will you need to take any special steps to make it happen? These are a couple common questions that come up. Fortunately, international divorces can be relatively straightforward.

What to do if you live in the United States

If you live in the United States but your spouse doesn’t, you can proceed with a divorce in the United States in most cases. As long as you are a resident in the state in which you wish to file, you can proceed. One problem with this is that you need to serve the court documents to your spouse directly. You can do so with a service that serves the paperwork for you if you’re not in the foreign country, or you can go there yourself and serve the documents.

What to do if you live in a foreign country

If you live in a foreign country, you may not be able to get a divorce in the United States. Instead, you’ll need to file for divorce in the foreign country and abide by its laws and regulations. After the divorce is finalized, most states will recognize the foreign divorce as long as the correct documents are created and the right process was followed.

It may be slightly more complicated to get an international divorce, but as long as you hold residency in the United States, you can file here. Follow the standard laws regarding divorce, and you soon can be on a path to ending your marriage.