As the Coronavirus continues to impact our communities, our focus at the Law Offices of John A. Guthrie is on the health and safety of our employees and clients. We remain committed to providing service to our clients during this time. To do our part in slowing the spread of the virus, we will be transitioning all current and prospective client meetings to Zoom video conferencing and/or telephone conference. To our current clients, we will be coordinating with you to organize these calls. Please feel free to call our office at any time. Stay well!!

Law Offices of John A. Guthrie - Family Law Attorney

Finding Solutions For Family Law Problems Since 1990

You’ve Got Questions; We’ve Got Answers

Reality TV star headed to court in child support dispute

Currently residing in California, Amanda Stanton has mediation scheduled with her ex-husband because of his desire to alter their existing child custody and support agreement. Stanton, who television viewers may know from her appearances on “Bachelor in Paradise” and “The Bachelor with Ben Higgins”, reportedly earns considerably more income than when the original terms of child custody were established.

According to court papers, her ex-husband claims that the reality television star has been making $20,000 to $30,000 every month. He has to pay her $2,000 a month in child support. A court approved this amount when Stanton only made $100 a month. In his public comments placed on Facebook, he referred to this financial obligation as “adult support.”

His court filing also stated that Stanton had not been following their custody schedule. She should have their two daughters 65 percent of the time, but her ex-husband said that she had left the children with him for an entire month while she filmed a television show. He also believes that the media attention placed on his children, especially when they appeared on one of the television shows, has caused them harm. If mediation does not produce a new agreement, then a family court will decide the issue.

A person involved in a custody dispute could ask an attorney for assistance. Negotiations with the other parent could be conducted by the attorney to buffer the person from a confrontation. This effort might allow the parties to focus on compromises. If a new agreement does not emerge, then the attorney could document income and other details essential to parenting and urge a family court to rule in the client’s favor.



Findlaw Network