Law Offices of John A. Guthrie
Free Initial Consultation 925-271-4342

March 2015 Archives

Collecting unpaid child support from payor's Social Security

Sometimes, a parent who is ordered to pay child support does not make the payments, whether it is because they are having trouble coming up with the money or they are simply refusing to pay. No matter the reason, California parents who are not receiving the payments could collect from the payor's Social Security benefits.

Data shows mothers are less likely to pay child support

A father who goes through a divorce in California may be awarded full custody of his children. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, fathers accounted for 18.3 percent of custodial parents in 2011. Just like custodial mothers, custodial fathers are often entitled to an award for monthly child support payments from the other parent.

Power of restraining orders

A California resident who is being physically or sexually abused, threatened, harassed or stalked may get a restraining order against the person who is allegedly initiating the damage or threat. The order is sometimes called a protective order and is issued by a court.

Providing representation in child support disputes

Child support is one of the most contentious issues that California family courts deal with. Thousands of parents each year struggle to enforce child support orders or initiate the modification process. Though the best interests of their children are often foremost in their minds, many people find it difficult to get the support they need.