Law Offices of John A. Guthrie
Free Initial Consultation

Seeking a child support modification from the court

When California parents of minor children get divorced, it is likely that one of them will be responsible for paying child support. The child support order is calculated based on a variety of factors, including the parents' income and the child's unique needs. However, life events can cause a parent's ability to pay the ordered amount of child support to change.

If a parent finds that he or she can no longer pay the amount of child support that was initially ordered, a child support modification must be requested. Until a child support modification is accepted by the court, the parent is still responsible for paying the amount that has been ordered. As such, those who lose their job or have other life events affect the amount they can pay should act quickly.

In some cases, the other parent may agree to lowered child support payments. This can save money and allow both parents to maintain some form of control over the child support payments. Otherwise, litigation may be required. If this is the case, parents who have a change in circumstances should document those changes while trying to continue to make the payments to the best of their abilities.

When a parent has an unexpected change in circumstances, such as an illness or job loss, it can be easy to fall behind. However, failing to pay child support on time can result in serious consequences, especially if the parent does not even attempt to pay some of what is owed. A family law attorney can be of assistance during the modification hearing.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Pleasanton Office
239 Main Street Suite H
Pleasanton, CA 94566

Phone: 925-271-4342
Fax: 925-461-9930
Pleasanton Law Office Map

Danville Office
4115 Blackhawk Plaza Circle
Suite 100
Danville, CA 94506

Phone: 925-648-2074
Map & Directions

Arrange A Free Consultation Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response Seeking a child support modification from the court | Law Offices of John A. Guthrie