Law Offices of John A. Guthrie
Free Initial Consultation

Here's what to do if you want an international divorce

The world has become much smaller with the use of technology, and as such, many people from around the world are traveling to new places and meeting people from other cultures. You did the same thing, and you got married overseas. Now, you have found yourself in a dilemma, because you want to get a divorce.

Is an international divorce really any different from a standard divorce in the United States? Will you need to take any special steps to make it happen? These are a couple common questions that come up. Fortunately, international divorces can be relatively straightforward.

What to do if you live in the United States

If you live in the United States but your spouse doesn't, you can proceed with a divorce in the United States in most cases. As long as you are a resident in the state in which you wish to file, you can proceed. One problem with this is that you need to serve the court documents to your spouse directly. You can do so with a service that serves the paperwork for you if you're not in the foreign country, or you can go there yourself and serve the documents.

What to do if you live in a foreign country

If you live in a foreign country, you may not be able to get a divorce in the United States. Instead, you'll need to file for divorce in the foreign country and abide by its laws and regulations. After the divorce is finalized, most states will recognize the foreign divorce as long as the correct documents are created and the right process was followed.

It may be slightly more complicated to get an international divorce, but as long as you hold residency in the United States, you can file here. Follow the standard laws regarding divorce, and you soon can be on a path to ending your marriage.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Pleasanton Office
239 Main Street Suite H
Pleasanton, CA 94566

Phone: 925-271-4342
Fax: 925-461-9930
Pleasanton Law Office Map

Danville Office
4115 Blackhawk Plaza Circle
Suite 100
Danville, CA 94506

Phone: 925-648-2074
Map & Directions

Arrange A Free Consultation Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response Here's what to do if you want an international divorce | Law Offices of John A. Guthrie