Enforce Your Rights After A Divorce

The terms of a divorce settlement or family law agreement are not optional - they are legal binding obligations. When child support or spousal maintenance is paid, when visitation rights or the custody of your children are interfered with, an enforcement action may be necessary.

Advice About Child Support Enforcement And More

At the Law Offices of John A. Guthrie in Pleasanton, California, our attorneys protect and assert the rights of our clients in matters pertaining to child support, spousal maintenance (alimony), the division of marital property, and parenting plans. While an illness, job loss, or change of personal status may interfere with a person's ability to honor the terms of a divorce settlement, without the legal sanction of the court a person cannot simply decide to ignore his or her obligations under the law.

If you or your children are owed support or your ex-spouse has denied your visitation rights, we have the resources and experience needed to take them to court and make them honor the terms of your divorce settlement. To schedule a free consultation to discuss how we can help you, contact the family law enforcement lawyers at the Law Offices of John A. Guthrie today.

Family Law Enforcement Actions

The family law attorneys at the Law Offices of John A. Guthrie represent clients in regard to the following enforcement actions:

  • Payment of child support
  • Payment of spousal maintenance
  • Enforcement of visitation rights
  • Enforcement of child custody agreements

Child Support In Arrears Understanding Consequences And Your Options

If illness or job loss has impacted your ability to stay current on child support payments it's essential that you involve an attorney in your case as soon as possible. Once you are reported to the California Child Support Services Department (CCSSD) you could have your wages garnished, your driver's license suspended, your assets seized, or be thrown in jail.

Once we intervene on your behalf, we can work with the court to establish a payment schedule that avoids jail and intrusive actions on the part of the CCSSD. In certain cases, we can negotiate a new payment schedule that avoids the need to garnish wages or seize assets. Additionally, we ask that the court not suspend your license or take action that interferes with your ability to work and earn a wage.

Visitation When Enforcement Is Necessary

Custodial parents sometimes assume they control access to children. When arguments occur, they may deny visitation rights, change a vacation / holiday schedule, or insist that a non-custodial parent cut their visitation time short. If your ex-spouse engages in behavior that violates an established, court sanctioned visitation schedule, we will take him or her to court and demand enforcement of your visitation rights.

Questions? Contact The Law Offices Of John A. Guthrie

If you have a visitation, spousal maintenance or child support enforcement issue, contact us online, or by phone at 925-271-4342. Our attorneys at our Pleasanton law firm are available for free consultations in order to evaluate your case and discuss the legal options open to you.